Friday, June 11, 2010

*wild*life on the ranchette . . .

Everyone else gets gorgeous huge moths, butterflies or hummingbirds and sweet little flora and fauna. Us? We get snapping turtles. Mean ones. Big mean ones. Big ugly mean ones. With attitudes. Even the barn cats stand at the screen door in awe and fear.

Long tail, pointy nose, rough shell, nasty claws - this is as close to an 'alligator' as I ever want to get. Off to the creek across the road with a shovel lift- which is where I suspect he wanted to go all along. (Thanks Eddie)

4 comments:

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

Terrifying and awesome all at the same time. I remember seeing one bite a broom handle in half when I was a kid.

My best snapping turtle story ever though happened a few years ago when I lived in the 'burbs of Chicago. Traffic was stopped in both directions on my way to work without any clear indication of why. I popped my head out of the window and noticed a HUGE snapping turtle sitting and hissing in the middle of the road. A couple of guys got out of their cars and were conferring about what to do, clearly jumpy about being around the beast. Suddenly, this woman gets out of her Camaro with her hair up to here, her skirt up to here, and her heels up to here...clicked her way up the street, walked right up to the turtle, picked him up, and chucked him off the side of the road. She clicked back to her car in a cloud of indignation and perfume while the guys just stood there dumbstruck. She was my hero that day, that anonymous Camaro woman.

lynn bowes said...

Oh Lisa, hi.freakin.larious!

Jill said...

I'd show that ugly guy some respect/fear too. Gotta love Lisa's story!

leah - moxiethrift on etsy said...

snapping turtle! i haven't seen one of those for years and years. they ARE mean!