Thursday, August 9, 2012

Trying hard not to complain . . .

The depths of the drought are worse for the farmers than they are for me but, like most people here in the rural Midwest, we've given up on beautiful grass and lush plantings for 2012.  Unless, of course, you are willing to risk a dry well and most would rather sacrifice the green for the ability to take a shower or a drink once in a while.  Easy trade.

The possibility of sounding depressed is imminent but I must share some photos of the Bowes Farmette from this 4th week of temps over 100 and no rain since mid-June.  Bear with me, please.
with rain in May

without rain - August
with rain earlier in the summer
When you hear of the drought being hard on farmers, believe it.  It's bad.  Corn is damaged beyond even silage with low to no moisture content so this doesn't just affect your plump cob of sweet corn.  It means that cattle will have little to feed on, produce fewer calves which, in turn, affects milk production.  The list goes on.  Soybeans - same.
without rain - August

Sometimes blogging is for no reason than to chronicle everyday life and this is one of those times.  We can't be pink sunshine and happy rainbow thoughts day in and day out as life has a way of intruding.  Rain.  Pray for rain.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Amen.

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

We're getting all the rain up here. I wish I could fan it away and share it. You have cravasses in your lawn and I have algae growing on my grass from the standing water. Mother Nature is really swinging the pendulum right now.

Anonymous said...

I hear you about the drought...it is so bad in our neck of the woods also. However, this morning we have had a very nice steady rain for almost two hours...I hope it's everywhere.