Sunday, August 16, 2009

Coyote pup!

I've been listening to these little guys talk to each other at night for a month or more but this is the first time I've seen one of them. There are two and they're pretty young - maybe 4 months old or so and about the size of a Jack Russell Terrier.

This pup let me get what I thought was too close, around 20'. I took this picture from the car and 20' is really too close even for the curious pup, I think. Hope they develop a healthy fear of humans as we really don't want them sleeping on the back porch or anything. However, I don't think they have a taste for barn cats if they're well fed and we could use fewer mice and garden-destroying rabbits around here.

I now carry a large stick and my cell phone when I walk.

1 comment:

Two Dog Pond said...

YIKES! That is too close for comfort. I hear them howling sometimes, but as long as I can't see them, I kind of like the sound. Perhaps you need to strap on a pistol when you're out walking.