Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Triumph of Lichen revisited . . .



Maybe lichen isn't the word I'm looking for here. Maybe fungus is the word but that makes for an icky title for such a lovely stone.

Ocean Jasper is always gorgeous and I blogged about this little bit last week when I was finally able to get back to the lapidary bench for a few hours.  I turned out this stone and a handful of others that will slowly make their debut here in the next few days.

The patterns in the stone remind me so much of the roundish mold or some sort of fungus that grows on fallen logs and sometimes the side of the barn.  You people who read this and know what I'm talking about, please straighten me out as to what this is called.

This stone begged to be set with circle accents and it turned out particularly well, I think.  Okay, I had some issues with it but in the end, I like it.

3 comments:

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

It is gorgeous. I am reminded of lichen or duckweed floating on a pond. Maybe lily pads too. Beautiful.

X said...

Lichen sure looks like the right word to me. But... is that some steampunk emerging from the edges? ;) Nothin' wrong with that.

Anonymous said...

Perfect setting for that gorgeous stone.