Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sweet Chicory Blue . . .

Here in Nebraska we can always count on something blooming from the Spring through Fall, weed or cultivated planting, and one of those perennial weeds is chicory.  Sweet blue chicory, the color is a perfect match for the clear summer sky and the blossom is simple and daisy-like.  Small and so lovely, I created this pendant with the chicory in mind.  

I already had the beautiful bit of Holley Blue Agate in my stash and I knew that it would be perfect for my donation to The Lux Gallery for a fundraiser in September.   I wanted a simple setting yet something with a little surprise.  This is what I came up with - straightforward box bezel with a balled-end bail on top, the actual bail a pinned flower, all handforged.  Nothing premade.  

For the surprise, I pierced the backside and sawed two little chicory flowers which show through the glow of the stone if held up to the light.  A 'Show and Tell' necklace as this will never be apparent when being worn, of course.  Our secret.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

You are genius! This is just so pretty but the added bonus of the chicory surprise makes it beyond pretty.

Whoever gets this is very lucky.

littlecherryhill said...

Gorgeous, I love the 'little secret' lol :)