Sunday, September 27, 2015

Gourd takover . . .

On a whim this Spring I planted two packets of gourd seeds.
One is gooseneck and the other is bottle.
I made a nice trellis out of some fencing and carefully nailed it to the overhang post.
You can see the tiny bit of vine that trained itself up the post on the right.
Then it decided to make a break for it and have a life in the wild.
Free! Free at last!

Off it went to the west of the barn, determined to not be held back by 'The Man'.
It made its own way, forged its own path, marched to its own drum.

Baby gourd.
So cute.

Triplets.
So now I have about 15+ of these little guys all over the place and frankly, I am wishing I had more.
I have started pinning on 'Pinterest the World's Greatest Time Suck' all kinds of cool baskets and work you can create with gourds and I think I'm hooked.
This year I'll just gather and dry them and see how involved this waiting process is.
Then next season, I'll have a better plan.
I'll plant what I want and somehow find a place where they can ramble.

I mean, look at this!
Seriously.
It's about the size of a watermelon.
Very happy gourds.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I love gourds! I plant them every year and because the garden gets away from me they don't produce too many. This year I got my first apple gourd! And, quite a few bird house ones and a few swan necked ones. One time I thought it would be cool to have a gourd "silo". I had a tube of fencing and filled it with dried gourds. It was also a way of storing them. Well, I didn't think about the fact that there are many critters out there that sure like seeds and they were all chewed into by spring. hmmmm...