Thursday, June 18, 2015

Day 11 : An Oil a Day 30 Day Challenge . . .

Day 11 : Buffalo Gap Grassland

Taken from a photo I took on our trip through the Nebraska Panhandle last summer.
This is the road north through the Buffalo Gap Grassland leading into the Black Hills in southwest South Dakota.
For a wide open spaces prairie lover like me, this is heaven.
Breathtaking at every turn. Cannot wait to go back and see what we missed.
But the backroads really are what intrigue me.
Ranches far from the super-highways, malls, and grocery stores, noise, lights.
Those homes that are far from the every day life do exist.

Regarding the painting, I'm still not confident in my approach to trees 
and those horizons with anything on them.
I don't want them to be hard lined but haven't quite got the technique for softening 
when I am painting alla prima.
Still working.

Details : Oil on canvas
6"x6"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Lynn,

I came across your blog from a comment you left for Carol Marine. I like see your progress on your painting challenge. This one is my favorite so far. I love the big skies. When I saw your paintings it reminded me of another landscape artist who also paints "big skies". You might like to look at the paintings of Scott Naismith. He's a Scottish landscape artist who has similar compositions to you with low horizon lines and big skies. He uses vibrant color to create very atmospheric skies. His current work is leaning a little bit more abstract, but his work from previous years is more impressionistic. You might enjoy his work, if you're not familiar with it already. Anyway, keep going with your 30 day challenge because I'm checking almost every day to see the next one!

lynn bowes said...

Annika, what a nice surprise! Thank you for the kind words and I will check out Scott Naismith's work absolutely. I'm new to painting in that I haven't touched since college about 40 years ago so it's coming back to me slowly. I read in Carol's blog that she has been at it for 20 years now and that means some serious catching up! It's fun, I enjoy it, and I see my painting improving here and there so it's a good thing. I appreciate your commenting and I hope you have some lovely work posted, as well :: lynn