Friday, June 12, 2015

Day 9 : An Oil a Day 30 Day Challenge . . .

Day 9 : Emerald
Painted from a reference photo and I have no idea where it came from.
I thought it had an interesting composition but the colors I had to come up with.
I'm not sure I hit the mark but I continue to learn with every one of these paintings.
I learn every time I do some sort of a tree line that it really doesn't matter what shape the line is or how well the trees are balanced.
What matters is that it fades and is indefinite.
That you get a sense of foliage and trees.
If these were highly detailed as my colored pencil drawings are,
then you would see branches and holes where the sky shows through.
But this is almost like the gesture drawings I did in college.
The ones where you had 1 minute or less to show the essence of the figure.
Interesting. 
I hadn't thought of that until now.

Details : Oil on canvas
10"x10"

3 comments:

Jill said...

I'm really enjoying watching you paint Lynn! And am happy that you are posting them here too not just on Facebook. The frenetic pace of facebook bothers me and art needs the slow down pace of a blog in my opinion. :)

lynn bowes said...

You've got that right, Jill. I don't post much on Facebook at all and when I post a picture of something I've created, I feel far too conspicuous. Like I'm asking for adulation, right? Not very good at that. So thank you.

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

I love these so much. I hope you post a pic of all of them together when you're done. Or better yet, bring them all to me and have an art show.