Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday enamel play . . .

Such a great day!  I carved out a few hours this Sunday afternoon to play with my enamels and see what developed?  My goal is to keep at it until I know what to expect each time - I guess that's called consistency - and I'm slowly figuring out my technique issues as I go.

I took a few old pairs of copper earrings and here's what came from my playtime.

I love the orange dangly pair - what a wonderful color and I so like the way it darkened on the edges.

The sky blue pair turned out lumpy and I've got to figure that one out.  I think I need to leave the fire on it for a little while longer.  Not sure. Hmmm . . . . 

The flower pendant was turquoise with tangerine sprinkles on the edges.  I can see that I had a little bit of contaminant on one of the petals so next time I'll remember to clean a bit longer before I sift the enamel powder onto the piece.  The three silver balls are attached by first drilling holes where you want the decor, enameling and then threading the balled wire through and torch-pinning on the backside.  This one I'll keep for myself because it's got a boo-boo.

Overall, happy.  Happy and successful day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All 3 pieces are very pretty but I love the little flower. I was thinking about the little beads in the center...do you think if you used granulations that sat down in the holes while you were torching your enamel, they would end up just sticking to the enamel...just a thought. I can see lots of these flowers in your future...in pretty spring colors.

lynn bowes said...

I should try that. Having fun experimenting but I have a way to go before I'm consistent.