Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sunset striped agate . . .

From the edge of the prairie: a layered sunset, striped in deep gold, washing away to creamy yellow and translucency. Two simple agate pendants.

Agate is found in a range of colors but nothing is more lovely, in my mind than these with sunset colors, pale, flowing river banding and sweet glowing chalcedony.

Today I created two lovely agate pendants, the settings forged completely from scratch. These simple tube bezels are cut from sheet silver, rolled and forged into little tubes and soldered with a flat cap at the top where I have attached a loop. The cylindrical agate beads were fit into the bezel and riveted securely in place with sterling wire.

In 2011 I'm committed to taking my work in another direction; to get back to what I love doing most and that's setting beautiful stones in bezel settings. I'll use riveting techniques where I can because I love the movement that allows the stone it captures but I miss the warmth and depth of agates and jaspers reminiscent of the prairie landscapes that surround me. I love it here and I want my work to reflect the place I love - Nebraska prairie. Home.

Perfect in simplicity.

2 comments:

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

Gorrrrrgeous. (purring)

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful...I love the setting, the stone shape, and the colors in the stone.